Today I cranked up a nice long list of successes:
- I slept for almost 6 hours straight
- I went to the temple to meditate with the monks at 7.30am – check out Zen Perry!!!!
- I found Costa Coffee. Hideously expensive, but they have very good toilets
- Points 2 & 3 were part of a 2 hour walking tour of a small part of the city where I managed to not get lost once and not have any stomach related mishaps enroute (apologies if TMI)
- I ate a lovely lunch of veggies and rice (with the help of 2 Imodium instants)
- I went on a shopping trip with Totie and her friend Olga and discovered a great ice-cream parlour – although I didn’t partake as I didn’t want to challenge the Imodium too much
- I may have managed to find an apartment – It has a coffin door but they have converted this into a breakfast bar type arrangement which I think is quite ingenious and quirky
- I worked out how to get internet on my phone all by myself (gotta love Google)
- Mum and I Skyped for the first time – such a different experience for us from my last time living overseas nearly 20 years ago!
- I understood approximately 4 words of Khmer over the course of the day – slowly, slowly catchy monkey as they say!
So, all in all I’m rounding off my first week on a high. It’s not all been easy (being sick sucked TBH) but it’s mostly been fun and has all confirmed what I thought I knew – that this is the right path for me to take right now.
In terms of what comes next, well here’s how next week is shaping up….
- On Monday I meet my new bosses at the Ministry
- On Tuesday I start work proper (whatever that means)
- I’ll continue to live in the garishly pink on the outside and delightfully beige on the inside Good Luck Guesthouse
- Hopefully by the end of the week I’ll have a new home to move in to
- Which will mean I will have lots of shopping and cleaning to do
- I might even have a proper visa too
- Which will mean I can open a bank account
- I plan to learn more Khmer language
And whatever else happens, rest assured I will carry on my new life in flipflops – Becoming me, one crazy adventure at a time!